Tips for San Diego’s Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk
Each year, the Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk is held in cities across the country to raise awareness of breast cancer, with a Southern California event occurring every November. As a San Diego 3 Day Walk hotel positioned along the route directly across from the Susan G. Komen campground, Paradise Point has cheered on thousands of participants and recognized their efforts by proudly hanging oversized pink ribbons across our front drive.
The 60-mile journey is not an easy one, but neither is the fight against breast cancer. Both require great mental and physical strength and preparation. Veteran walker Diane Gruel, who is one of many who call our Susan G. Komen hotel home during the walk, shares her top 10 tips for the 3 Day Walk in San Diego:
- Train, train, and train! Individuals who have the most trouble with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day haven’t trained for the event.
- Have two pairs of shoes that you’ve broken-in during your training and switch each day.
- Bring a flashlight, preferably a headlamp and a poncho in case it rains.
- Bring band aids and some sort of pain reducer just in case your muscles get sore.
- Pack extra socks for each day and keep them in your back pack. It’s helpful to change socks at least once each day, especially if it rains.
- Bring sunscreen and apply each day. Even when it’s not sunny, walking 60 miles along San Diego beaches will expose you to UV rays.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Dehydration is one of the most common problems for 3-Day Walkers. Avoid dehydration by taking advantage of the water and Gatorade pit stops.
- Bring a small camera or a cell phone with a camera to capture the beautiful moments you will encounter on this journey.
- Make it a point to take your meals with the group and participate in the activities. You will greatly enjoy the bonding time with other walkers.
- Most importantly, have fun! Enjoy the journey and make friends! Talk to other walkers along the way, you’re guaranteed to meet some amazing people on this journey.
It’s also important to get a good night’s rest every evening to maintain stamina, which is why Paradise Point Resort & Spa is pleased to extend a special Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk San Diego hotel rate of $165 per night to participants. With comfortable Four-Diamond accommodations, a convenient location next to the campground, and special spa treatments for sore muscles, you’ll be ready to walk on!