Sea of Surprises: SeaWorld San Diego’s 50th Anniversary
2014 is a milestone year for Mission Bay. Mission Beach is commemorating its centennial and our next door neighbor SeaWorld San Diego’s 50th anniversary celebration will soon be under way in under-the-sea style. Beginning March 21, the park’s “Sea of Surprises” 50th anniversary festivities will span 18 months and feature new entertainment, shows and attractions.
While Paradise Point’s popular SeaWorld water taxi will continue to run this year, letting guests skip parking costs and admission lines by entering through a VIP back gate, there’s one thing that may make you consider entering the park the conventional way this year: Explorer’s Reef.
SeaWorld San Diego’s 50th anniversary attraction Explorer’s Reef is just steps inside the main entrance, immediately immersing guests in a vibrant undersea realm of giant coral and tropical lagoons. And guests don’t have to waste any time waiting to get wet. Four touch pools full of 5000 fish – shark pups, gentle rays, horseshoe crabs, and cleaner fish – are poised to nibble playfully at your fingers.
Other highlights of SeaWorld San Diego’s 50th anniversary celebration include:
- Pop-up animal encounters with SeaWorld San Diego’s Animal Ambassadors, including penguins, lemurs and flamingos, across the park
- A Surprise Squad handing out special gifts and prizes like exclusive rides, behind-the-scenes tours, and merchandise
- New animal shows and entertainment
- Spontaneous entertainment throughout the water park provided by performers with sea-inspired costumes and props, a bubble brigade and splash mob
- On-deck character greeting exclusively for Paradise Point water taxi passengers on select spring break and summer dates
- Special SeaWorld San Diego 50th anniversary hotel packages