Our Top 10 Picks for San Diego Museum Month
San Diego is famous for its beautiful weather and array of outdoor activities, but you can also experience some of the city’s best attractions by heading inside. The city is home to 90+ museums with Balboa Park, known as the “Smithsonian of the West”, serving as the 1,200-acre cultural epicenter. With 44 of those museums offering half-price admission during February as part of San Diego Museum Month, there’s never been a better time to explore!
Start by visiting your nearest Macy’s store to pick-up a San Diego Museum Month Pass, which allows up to four individuals to receive the admission discount all month long. Then, use this list of our top 10 San Diego museums, all located within 15 minutes of Paradise Point to get the most out of San Diego Museum Month:
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps – Explore marine life with interactive exhibitions and learn about new discoveries and ocean conservation.
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego – An art museum with two locations, in downtown San Diego and La Jolla. These San Diego museums interpret art of “our time” (art created since 1950). Great for all ages, it offers a range of interactive programs.
- Museum of Photographic Arts – One of the few museums in the country dedicated exclusively to photography, film and video. It strives to inspire, educate and engage a broad audience by presenting works from some of the world’s most celebrated photographers and cinematographers.
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center – Explore more than 100 interactive science exhibits and the first IMAX Dome Theatre, featuring the biggest films on earth. Suitable for most ages, films take the audience through space, under water, and many places in between.
- San Diego Air & Space Museum – This San Diego museum combines science, space, and aviation history with a historic aircraft and spacecraft collection from all over the world.
- San Diego Natural History Museum – Features fascinating exhibits with giant screen films focused on promoting the understanding of the evolution and diversity of Southern California and the Baja Peninsula.
- The New Children’s Museum – Celebrates children and visual arts, encouraging children to think, play and create through exhibits, art activities, artistic performances, and classroom experiences. This is the perfect San Diego Museum Month option for families with children ranging from toddlers to teens.
- The Water Conservation Garden – Explore nearly five acres of beautiful garden exhibits through self-guided tours of various programs. This garden strives to inform about water-wise gardening to further conserve water.
- USS Midway Museum – Located in downtown San Diego, this naval aviation museum features a self-guided audio tour, more than 60 exhibits, and a 27 restored aircraft aboard the longest serving U.S. Navy aircraft carrier.
- Whaley House Museum – If a little adventure is what you seek, then visit “America’s Most Haunted House.” Built in 1857 as San Diego’s first commercial theatre, early Courthouse, and general store, the Whaley House seeks to preserve, promote and support the preservation of architectural, cultural and historical landmarks in our region.
These are just a few of the amazing San Diego museums you should visit this February. Take advantage of this limited time offer by picking up your San Diego Museum Month Pass today!